Simple Clean Donuts
Simple Clean (YUMMY) Donuts
Warning: Dough needs to rest for five hours. So plan ahead :)
- 1-1/8 cup whole milk, warm
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 2 whole large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 and 1/4 stick unsalted butter (10 tablespoons), melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (depending on humidity and elevation)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For Glaze :
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Enough milk to make a thin icing (about 1/2 cup)
Mix Warm Milk, Sugar and Yeast in a bowl. Let it rest for 5 mins. (you should see the yeast begin to activate)
Then add eggs and butter. Whisk
While mixing flours slowly and salt.
You are looking for a stretchy dough consistency. Once you have this consistency, grease a bowl with butter and put the dough to rest in the refrigerator for five hours.
To make the donuts.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/2 inch thick. If you have a donut cutter great! But you don't right? So do what I did and find a lid to a mason jar or something round that will act in place of a donut cutter. Cut into a circles and then with this small cutter cut the center hole. I used a lid to a water bottle.
- Place the cut donuts and holes on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Cover the donuts and let them rise until doubled in size, about one hour.
To cook the donuts:
Heat a few inches of oil in a large cast iron skillet or fryer over medium heat until the oil reaches 365 to 375 degrees (use a thermometer!). Carefully add the donuts to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, This happens fast. The donut holes will only take about 15-30 seconds per side.
Carefully remove the donuts and place on a rack to "dry"
While still warm dip in the glaze and let them rest on a rack.
To make the glaze:
Warm all ingredients together on low heat and whisk until a consistent liquid.