Clean Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Clean Broccoli and Cheese Soupclean homemade bread and you have a winner!
2 C water
1 bunch of organic broccoli (enough for 2-3 cups chopped)
1 C shredded organic carrots (I use a cheese grater to shred my carrots)
1 small organic onion (2/3 c - 1c chopped)
2 large cloves of garlic (minced)
3 TB organic flour or organic tapioca starch
3 TB organic salted butter (unsalted has toxins in it)
1 C organic half and half (watch out for carageenan and other toxins in heavy creams)
1/4 tsp organic garlic powder (or more if you prefer)
1/8tsp organic nutmeg (or less)
1/4 tsp organic dried basil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 C shredded organic cheddar cheese (buy in a block and shred yourself)
1 C shredded organic gouda (self shred as well)
Directions (Takes 30 minutes to prepare and serves 4)
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, wash and chop all your veggies. Put into the water.
2. Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes. You want the veggies to be tender.
3. Next start your roux (flour and butter mixture to thicken soup). Place 3 TB butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once melted, quickly add the flour and stir. Take off of heat and complete mixing. Then add it to the vegetable and water mixture and stir in completely. For a thicker soup, double the butter and flour.
4. Next, stir in 1 cup of your organic half and half. Let simmer on low heat.
5. Add garlic powder, nutmeg, basil, salt, and pepper.
6. Add the cheeses, and watch the goodness appear before your eyes! Taste and adjust the spices as needed after you put the cheese in.
*Just a side note: I run away from stocks for soup bases because I have not found 1 that doesn't contain MSG (a neurotoxin with 26 different names used by food companies). If you want to use a stock, make it yourself with organic chicken and veggies. You could make a bunch a head of time and freeze it.